Benvenuto Ospite | Iscriviti

Forum Entomologi Italiani

www.entomologiitaliani.net/forum

Oggi è 27/04/2024, 9:52

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]

Mi date una mano per il mio nuovo sito "Fauna of Seychelles"?

nuovo argomento
rispondi
Vai alla pagina Precedente  1, 2
Pagina 2 di 2 [ 30 messaggi ]
Autore Messaggio
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 14:18 

Nome: Marco Villani
Infatti quelle due foto etichettate come Polyspilota aeruginosa mi lasciavano dubbioso. Si direbbero appunto delle P. voeltzkowiana, anche se non son segnalate.
:hi:

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 14:38 
Amministratore

Nome: Paolo Mazzei
mazzeip ha scritto:
halobates ha scritto:
:D come sei arrivato ad Halobates allaudi :?:
Perché è l'unica specie citata per le Seychelles, stasera ti do i riferimenti precisi. ;)

Odonata, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera and Other Insects of the Seychelles Islands, edited by J. Gerlach, 2013 - SIRI Scientific Press

H. alluaudi è l'unica delle 5 specie note per le Seychelles a frequentare le isole granitiche, e non solo le coralline, nei pressi delle coste, anche rocciose.

serifoswildlife.net: Serifos wildlife
seychelleswildlife.info: Seychelles Wildlife

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 15:02 

Nome: Valerio Viglioglia
Intanto vi dico che qui con me ho un'esemplare (mantide) di Mahe del 22.VIII.
che ho determinato, ricordo con difficoltà, come Polyspilota cfr. seychelliana
dopo cena dovrei riuscire a fare qualche foto e ve la mostro

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 17:12 
Amministratore

Credo sia questa, la prima che trovammo qualche minuto prima della Melanitis leda, vedi se nelle foto riesci a riprendere l'interno delle zampe anteriori ;) :

PolSeyA008HR.jpg

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 17:43 

mazzeip ha scritto:
Credo sia questa, la prima che trovammo qualche minuto prima della Melanitis leda, vedi se nelle foto riesci a riprendere l'interno delle zampe anteriori ;) :

PolSeyA008HR.jpg

Questa è una Polyspilota, forse la seychelliana ma bisogna guardare la faccia interna dei femori se hanno una macchia ben marcata meno

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 24/02/2015, 17:49 

Quelle che mi lasciano dubbioso sono quelle marroni, che non sono seychelliana e mi sembrano voeltzkwiana

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 25/02/2015, 13:15 

Nome: Valerio Viglioglia
Si l'esemplare è quello (io l'ho indicato con l'altro nome della strada, Chemin de Foret Noir anziché Sans Souci rd.) e non ha le vescicole bianche sulle zampe anteriori.

Potete vederlo quì

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 25/02/2015, 17:34 
Amministratore

Marco, hai qualche tavola o chiave per farci capire queste benedette Polyspilota come si riconoscono? ;)

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 25/02/2015, 17:56 

Purtroppo no, non credo che siano nemmeno rappresentate in disegni (se non nei francobolli!). Se volete vederle chiedete al British Museum. Comunque, sono distinguibili dalle altre specie delle Seychelles per avere le macchie nella faccia interna dei femori anteriori molto sbiadite, brune e sfumate nel margine, e non nere.

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 25/02/2015, 18:02 

Comunque, nella revisione dell'ordine a mano di Giglio-Tos, 1927 (che trovate qui: https://docs.google.com/folderview?id=0 ... =drive_web) ci sono le chiavi per il genere Polyspilota (pag. 399) e la descrizione di P. seychelliana (pag. 401). :D

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 28/02/2015, 20:04 

Nome: Danilo Mario Piccolino
mazzeip ha scritto:
mazzeip ha scritto:
halobates ha scritto:
:D come sei arrivato ad Halobates allaudi :?:
Perché è l'unica specie citata per le Seychelles, stasera ti do i riferimenti precisi. ;)

Odonata, Hemiptera, Hymenoptera and Other Insects of the Seychelles Islands, edited by J. Gerlach, 2013 - SIRI Scientific Press

H. alluaudi è l'unica delle 5 specie note per le Seychelles a frequentare le isole granitiche, e non solo le coralline, nei pressi delle coste, anche rocciose.

Grazie per il riferimento, devo controllare un contributo che non riguarda gli Heteroptera ma i Fulgoromorpha mi sembra che degli studiosi tedeschi abbiamo approntato una lista: Checklist sulle Seychelles per questo gruppo se trovo il riferimento lo inserisco.

:hi:

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 11/03/2015, 12:26 
Amministratore

Riguardo la presunta Hierodula patellifera, Marco Villani aveva pienamente ragione :ok: ;) : Pat Matyot, naturalista seychellese, membro del Seychelles National Environment Advisory Commission e coinvolto a vario titolo nella gestione e protezione della natura alle Seychelles, mi manda l'articolo che riporto qui di seguito, pubblicato il 28/12/2009 (vol. 32, n. 248, pag. 4) sul giornale "Seychelles Nation", colonna "Island Conservation":

Cita:
ISLAND CONSERVATION

The praying predator – a new arrival raises questions

by Pat Matyot

I first saw the new mantis towards the end of 2002. It must have been a few days after I returned to Mahé in November after a scientific expedition with other members of the ICS to Cosmoledo. I was in an SBC car driving into Victoria from Union Vale. As we approached Oceangate House I noticed that a man was trimming the branches of a flamboyant tree and dragging them away. I turned to see the result of his work. On the trunk of the tree, crawling upwards, was the largest live praying mantis I had ever seen.

It was at least seven centimetres long, bright green in colour, with a noticeably swollen abdomen – a well-fed female, no doubt, and much bigger than our native praying mantis! I almost shouted out to the SBC driver to stop, so that I could get out to take a closer look. But I quickly stifled my emotion, even as the car drove on, past the Trwa Zwazo Bicentennial Monument. What would my SBC colleagues think? And could I just be imagining things, or exaggerating the size of the mantis to myself somehow, because I had been spending days on end studying mantids on Cosmoledo, Aldabra and Assomption?

Months went by. I often thought about what I had seen, or thought I had seen, on that flamboyant tree – but nothing came up to shed any light on the matter. Then, on September 7th 2004, Ronley Fanchette and Perley Constance from the Ministry of Environment dropped by to see me at the SBC station at Hermitage. Ms Marie-Yvonne Fréminot at M & N Tailoring behind Habib Bank in town had called to report finding a strange insect on the door of her workshop. They had gone there and collected it. I peered inside the jar they handed me. It was a case of instant recognition – almost the same size, the same green, just as plump, this was the same kind of mantis as the one I had seen nearly two years before!

Not native

All sorts of questions came to mind. What species of mantis was it? And was it another invasive alien? I suggested we take a closer look at the specimen. The front legs often have features that are useful for identifying mantids, I told them. With Ronley’s nimble fingers wrapped around the creature’s abdomen, we gently parted the front legs that were folded and held close together in typical “praying” mode. Amid the formidable-looking spines we found a useful identification feature all right: two absolutely white rounded patches on the inner side of the left leg, and three similar ones on the right. This, together with the shape of the thorax as well as the size of the insect, was proof that the mantis was not the native one we were familiar with.

There were not going to be any more two-year gaps in my observations. Just three days later, on September 10th 2004, as I was leaving SBC Radio at Union Vale just after 9 p.m., I found another specimen of the new mantis on a wall just under a light. This one was brown, and it was a male. The very next day I discovered a mantis egg-case on one of the twigs of a kalisdipap tree between the Pirates’ Arms and the Supreme Court: it was smooth and dark brown and had a varnished sheen, quite different from the egg-case of our native mantis. And the next morning, I saw that the female that Ronley and Perley had left in my care had deposited an egg-case of its own inside the vivarium in which I had placed it: it was similar to the one I had found near the Pirates’ Arms! Clearly, both sexes were present on Mahé, and the species was reproducing. I soon realized how how prolific it could be.

My captive female fed eagerly on not only houseflies but also bush crickets, longhorn beetles and cockroaches, including the large American and Australian cockroaches that are household pests. It laid four more times, mostly at intervals of less than two weeks. When the first egg-case hatched on October 10th , about a month after it was laid, I counted at least fifty baby mantids milling around all over the inside of the vivarium, for all the world like a swarm of yellow crazy ants or fourmi Maldiv.

On November 11th Ronley Fanchette from the Ministry of Environment showed me another female mantis. This one had been found by Christelle Rose at the Import Section of the SMB. Whether we were dealing with an invader or a new species that had arrived in Seychelles naturally, Victoria and its environs seemed to be a focal point of its distribution. Ronley and I wondered what could be the long-term impact of the new species on the smaller native mantis and other insects. A praying mantis is actually a preying mantis…

Biology

Observing my captive specimens, I noticed that at night the females hanged upside down from the branches I had placed inside their cages and curled their abdomen away from their wings. In the light of my torch I could see slight pulsing or pumping movements. I knew that many female insects twitch their abdomen in this manner as they release pheromones – chemicals that excite and attract males of the same species. Sure enough, on November 22nd at 8 a.m. I found a green male near one of the cages containing a female at my parents’ home at La Rosière – it had presumably come in through an open window during the night.

Other interesting observations followed, enabling us to piece together the jigsaw of the biology of the new mantis. From the first batch of baby mantids one reached adulthood just under three months later. When I put a male and a female together in the same cage I discovered that, with this species, too, the female starts eating her partner head-first in the middle of the sex act – an aspect of mantid behaviour that has fascinated people for centuries. But for me the most interesting observation of all was on 20th November 2005 at La Rosière.

A bulbul or merl seemed to be poking its beak at something among the flowers and leaves at the end of a branch of a mango tree. It fluttered from one position to another, seeming to peer among the leaves from time to time. Then something green, apparently an insect, hopped onto the upper surface of a leaf. Even as I was wondering if it was a leaf insect, a bush cricket or a mantis, the bulbul darted at it, then immediately recoiled. The green insect was a mantis and it had struck out at the bird with its front legs! Even as I realised this, it let go of the leaf and drifted to the ground. The bulbul followed and fluttered above where it had landed. I ran over and got there first. It was a large female specimen of the new mantis.

Spread

By then, Dr Alfred Kaltenbach of the Naturhistorisches Museum in Vienna had confirmed the identity of the species – it goes by the longish scientific name of Hierodula patellifera, and is found all over Asia, from India to Japan and the Phillipines, as well as on Christmas Island (part of Australia) at the eastern end of the Indian Ocean. Once I knew its identity I could look up what has been published about it in the scientific literature. To my consternation I found an old account that one attacked and killed a sunbird (related to our kolibri) in India. The bird was not eaten, however, unlike a “crying tree-frog” (similar to our krapo) that, according to another report, was “attacked and devoured” in southern China.

One of the questions repeatedly asked about these new species not recorded from our islands before is: how did it get here? Discussing the presence of exotic mantids in the United States, Lawrence E. Hurd, professor of biology at Washington and Lee University, has drawn attention to “the inadvertent distribution of eggs on transplanted nursery stock… and on various modes of human transportation” – in other words, mantids can spread because the females often stick their egg-cases onto plants, vehicles and even cargo that people take from one part of the world to another.

A year ago, Perrin Dingwall found a specimen of the new mantis in his living room at Au Cap. Last week conservationist Victorin Laboudallon was given a male that had been found at Anse Volbert on Praslin. The species has moved beyond Victoria and is now colonising more islands – a reminder that we must never drop our guard against potential invaders.

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 11/03/2015, 15:43 

Non sono molto ferrato con l'inglese.... Il testo dice che la specie non è nativa perché è stata introdotta a mano umana? Se così fosse è molto poco plausibile dato che è stata trovata anche a Rèunion ed è più probabile che sia giunta lì attraverso il trasporto di legname grazie alle correnti marine.
Nel week-end comunque lo leggo tutto

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 11/03/2015, 20:14 

Nome: Maurizio Gigli
In realtà dice:
"Discussing the presence of exotic mantids in the United States, Lawrence E. Hurd, professor of biology at Washington and Lee University, has drawn attention to “the inadvertent distribution of eggs on transplanted nursery stock… and on various modes of human transportation” – in other words, mantids can spread because the females often stick their egg-cases onto plants, vehicles and even cargo that people take from one part of the world to another."

Che si può tradurre più o meno così:
"Discutendo la presenza di mantidi esotiche negli Stati Uniti, Lawrence E. Hurd, professore di biologia alla Washington and Lee University, ha richiamato l'attenzione su "la distribuzione accidentale di uova su piante da vivaio ... e su vari mezzi di trasporto umano" - in altre parole, le mantidi possono diffondersi perché le femmine spesso attaccano le loro ooteche sulle piante, veicoli e persino merci che le persone portano da una parte all'altra del mondo."

Che mi sembra una ipotesi più che plausibile. Si tratta però di una osservazione generale, non riferita al caso specifico.

In questo caso, non si può certo escludere un arrivo su ammassi di vegetazione trasportati dalle correnti, ma considerando quanto più materiale, e più velocemente, si sposta su nave e su aereo attualmente, non credo che si possa escludere una introduzione antropica.

Una indicazione su come sia arrivata potremmo averla se sapessimo da dove è iniziata l'invasione. Di solito, le specie importate involontariamente dall'uomo iniziano a colonizzare il nuovo territorio a partire da zone antropizzate, prossime al loro luogo di arrivo (porti, aeroporti, città verso le quali ci sia un traffico regolare di merci provenienti da zone più o meno lontane su treno o su gomma, ecc). Quando invece l'invasione inizia da zone più naturali, si può più facilmente pensare ad un arrivo per cause naturali

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 11/03/2015, 20:41 

La cosa che mi fa escludere l'ipotesi dell'introduzione accidentale è il fatto che la specie non è mai stata introdotta fin ad ora in nessun luogo (le specie alloctone negli stati uniti sono Tenodera aridifolia, Mantis religiosa e Iris oratoria; inoltre in Portogallo le specie alloctone sono Miomantis paykullii e Miomantis caffra e in Nuova Zelanda Miomantis caffra), unito alla presenza di numerose specie del flusso orientale nelle Seychelles

profilo
nuovo argomento
rispondi
Vai alla pagina Precedente  1, 2
Pagina 2 di 2 [ 30 messaggi ]

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]