Dilophus clavicornus Skartveit & Kaplan, 1996 - Bibionidae

25.X.2022 - ROMANIA - EE, Romania: Constanta county: Agigea

nuovo argomento
rispondi
Pagina 1 di 1 [ 7 messaggi ]
Autore Messaggio
MessaggioInviato: 28/10/2022, 12:46 

Nome: Pintilioaie Alexandru Mihai
Hi all, what do you think about this Dilophus, it could be febrilis, with those orange legs? :roll: :hi:

_img_20221026_181647574_20221026174059_small.jpg

IMG_20221027_204214633.jpg

page.jpg

profilo
 Oggetto del messaggio: Re: Dilophus - Bibionidae
MessaggioInviato: 29/10/2022, 8:08 

Nome: Carlo Monari
Hi Alexandru, the only key I have for Dilophus is that of Seguy on the volume 36 of Faune de France, Nematoceres, 1940, under the name Philia. Accordingly, with three rings of spines on the fore tibias the choice should be restricted to three species: bispinosus, minor and tenuis. This is a male; if the spines on the intermediate ring are two it should be Dilophus bispinosus Lundström, 1913, otherwise, given the shape of tibias and tarsis of legs III, Dilophus tenuis Wiedemann, 1818.

Carlo

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 29/10/2022, 9:19 

Hi Carlo, thanks a lot for your help. Someone ID-ed it as Dilophus tenuis, but in my oppinion it couldn't be this species (wrong number of spines on the fore tibia and the orange colour of the front tibia). My specimen has only one spine on the intermediate ring, so it can't be D. tenuis, too, right? :?

IMG_20221029_095439809.jpg

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 30/10/2022, 8:09 

As told before, I simply followed Seguy's keys, which are quite old and refer to the french fauna. Reading Seguy's description of Dilophus tenuis, the only character not fitting is the color of the fore femur, which should be darker and I don't see the dimension, but it remains the best match unless there is a second spine, not shown in photo, in the middle of the fore tibia, in wihich case it is Dilophus bispinosus whose description fits a little better.
I noticed that you posted the same specimen in Diptera.info, and Theo's opinion is quite different; I will try to find and read the works cited there and after I will return here.

Carlo

profilo
 Oggetto del messaggio: Re: Dilophus sp. - Bibionidae
MessaggioInviato: 28/11/2022, 17:58 

Hi Alexandru, I asked Jean-Paul Haenni's opinion, and here is what he answered:

This specimen from Romania is really very interesting. It will not run to any of the species of the D. febrilis-group (Haenni 1982).
This is certainly not D. febrilis as proposed by Theo Zeegers, as febrilis has never rufous front legs and arrangement of spines on t1 is different. This is not D. tenuis which, as you write, has never rufous front femora and also displays a different arrangement of spines on t1 and has visible pterostigma. (By the way, Séguy 1940 is quite outdated for this genus).
In my opinion - but this should be verified by studying the specimen, of course - it must belong to Dilophus clavicornis Skartveit & Kaplan, 1996. This species was first described from Israel (Skartveit & Kaplan 1996), but was recorded later also from Europe (Northern Greece) by Haenni & Ramel (2017). In fact I have seen now additional material from several European countries (still unpublished). In fact, this species might well be rather widely spread in the Mediterranean subregion but has been apparently overlooked till now (or maybe this could be due to a possible recent spreading of its range ?).

At this point I suggest a direct contact between you and Jean-Paul.
All the best.

Carlo

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 30/11/2022, 12:55 

Dear Carlo, Thanks a lot for your help with this one, a very interesting specimen I can observe! :lov2: :birra:. I have 3 specimens like this one, they are in the freezer now, and all of them are probably males if I remember corectly. I will contact Jean-Paul and I will send the specimens to him, and I will return here with news when I will have them.

All the best and thank you again,
Alex. :hi: :hi:

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 27/01/2023, 12:07 

Hello :hi: , I received yesterday a message from Jean-Paul Haenni, who examined the specimens, and they are indeed Dilophus clavicornus Skartveit & Kaplan, 1996, a new species for Romania :hi: :hp:

profilo
nuovo argomento
rispondi
Pagina 1 di 1 [ 7 messaggi ]

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]