Copris hispanus cavolinii (Petagna, 1792) - Scarabaeidae - Crete, Greece

nuovo argomento
rispondi
Pagina 1 di 1 [ 10 messaggi ]
Autore Messaggio
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 12:36 

Nome: Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
Hi,

Collected this almost half year ago (10.march.2010), and I keep looking to that like a :x .
Looks like a Copris, in the field was like a Copris but I don't succed to put this anywehere (at least Baraud don't help me with this... or I'm unable to read well :cry: ).
But from I have seen is not like any of the next Copris from the area (or very close):
lunaris
hispanus
umbilicatus
pueli
Two specimens where collected (looking exact the same), several found but I have destroyed them when taking them out from the soil... under sheep dung at ~20 cm.

Anyone know more, ever seen this?

One of the males (I think also the other one is a male) in dorsal and lateral view, and genitalia (lateral/dorsal/ventral).

Grazie,
cosmln
Copris_IMG_0636_C00363.JPG

Copris_IMG_0637_C00363.JPG

Copris_IMG_0633_C00363.JPG

Copris_IMG_0634_C00363.JPG

Copris_IMG_0635_C00363.JPG

just insects
Dragonflies of Romania

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 13:47 

Nome: Stefano Ziani
Perchè non potrebbe essere un maschio minor di Copris hispanus?

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 14:00 

Creedence ha scritto:
Perchè non potrebbe essere un maschio minor di Copris hispanus?

I have seen/collected only normal males of Copris hispanus untill now. If it is C.h. is interesting (at least for me) because only in this form I have found them... up in Ida Mountains.
So maybe some one have a large batch of C.h. (males of different sizes???) to take a look in collection.

cosmln

just insects
Dragonflies of Romania

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 14:04 
Amministratore

Nome: Marcello Romano
Ciao Cosmin :)
Guarda la foto più in basso di questa pagina.

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 14:09 

grazie to all for your help... now I can add only that this will be Copris hispanus cavolinii (Petagna, 1792).
Velvet Ant ha scritto:
Ciao Cosmin :)
Guarda la foto più in basso di questa pagina.

just to add that the specimen from there is a female :)... so mine is a male like a female :)

cosmln

just insects
Dragonflies of Romania

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 14:20 

Hi Cosmin,

did you collect any Anthaxia on mt. Ida? There is a small dark species there, named Anthaxia (Anthaxia) idae Obenberger, 1938 which is endemic of mt Ida; it lives on Astragalus, and the end of March perhaps is the right time for the first specimens. :p

MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 14:36 

Mr. Anthaxia ha scritto:
Hi Cosmin,

did you collect any Anthaxia on mt. Ida? There is a small dark species there, named Anthaxia (Anthaxia) idae Obenberger, 1938 which is endemic of mt Ida; it lives on Astragalus, and the end of March perhaps is the right time for the first specimens. :p

No Anthaxia where collected from there :( , one of the Anthaxia collected in Crete here... don't remember if collected others... but only a smal fraction of what I have collected in Greece was prepared. For sure will come here with some ;) ... for you in a few moments a small Anthaxia (without name yet) from Portugal :) .
The weather up there was not too nice, still some snow and extremely windy, succeed only to take some plants photos (this being one of the few flowering plants from there at that time), and to collect some scarabaeidae.

cosmln

just insects
Dragonflies of Romania

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 15:29 

Nome: Marion Mantič
I quote from : V.Balthasar-Monographie der Scarabaeidae und Aphodiidae der palearktischen und orientalischen Region, Band 1
Vorderecken des Haldschides scharf rechtwinkelig /Front corners of the Haldschides sharp right angles/, Vorderrand des Halsschildes in der Mitte deutlich ausgerandet /anterior margin of the pronotum in the middle excised significantly/- from Europa, Nordafrica, Asia Minor only hispanus, anterior tibaia with 4 teeth.

Vorderwinkel des Halsschildes breit abgerundet /Front angle of the pronotum broadly rounded/, Vorderrand des Halsschildes in der Mitte nicht ausgerandet /anterior margin of the pronotum in the middle is not excised/ - from Europa, Nordafrica, Asia Minor only lunaris /anterior tibaia with 4 teeth/ and umbilicatus and pueli /anterior tibaia with 3 teeth/

In my it is Copris hispanus.

Copris lunaris.JPG

Copris hispanus.JPG

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 16:55 

Nome: Stefano Ziani
Sometime horned scarabs males have female like appearance. It is no rare to find males with more or less reduced cephalic horn(s) and prothoracic tubercles. They can be called “minor males”, like the specimen of your photo.

profilo
MessaggioInviato: 12/08/2010, 17:33 

Creedence ha scritto:
Sometime horned scarabs males have female like appearance. It is no rare to find males with more or less reduced cephalic horn(s) and prothoracic tubercles. They can be called “minor males”, like the specimen of your photo.

thanks for your help, I know about this "minor males", just that my experience is limited in this case, in Romania never seen it (even if there are 2 records) and in Greece found only some males :)

but is nice that someone here is taking a look on this group... I still have a lot of scarabaeids without name :) so I hope you will help me also in the future.

cosmln

just insects
Dragonflies of Romania

profilo
nuovo argomento
rispondi
Pagina 1 di 1 [ 10 messaggi ]

Tutti gli orari sono UTC + 1 ora [ ora legale ]